Whenever, during any period of twenty-four hours or less, snow falls in the City or in a section or sections thereof to a depth of four inches or more, an emergency is declared to exist in that such a heavy snow storm constitutes a serious public hazard, impairing transportation, the movement of food and fuel, supplies, medical care, fire, health and police protection and other vital facilities of the City. Such emergency shall continue until an announcement by the Director of Safety-Service that snow plowing operations have been completed.
When there is a snowfall of over 4" the City of Elyria has parking bans on certain streets:
- 2nd St. between East Ave. and West Ave.
- East Ave. & Broad St.
- East Ave. between 4th and 16th St. - Northbound lane, east side of roadway
- East River St. between Eastern Heights Blvd. and Lincoln St.
- Garford Ave. between Colgate and Eastern Heights Blvd.
- Kerstetter Way between Broad and West Ave.
- Middle Ave. between 3rd and 16th St.
- Oakdale Circle between Defiance Ave. and South Abbe Rd.
- Ohio St. between Washington Ave. and Gulf Rd.
- Park Ave. between Michigan Ave. and Oxford Ave.
- Ridge St. between East River St. and E. Bridge St.
- University Avenue between E. River St. and South Abbe Rd.
- Washington Ave. between Broad and Ohio St.
- West Ave. between 4th St. and Oberlin Rd.
- Whitman Blvd. between N. Abbe Rd. and Gulf Rd.
- Winckles St. between Taylor and Clark St.
Residents are reminded to remove vehicles as soon as possible during heavy snow events. Vehicles not removed from streets with posted parking ban signs will be subject to ticketing.
ALL residents are encouraged to remove their cars from their street regardless of restrictions to allow for safe and thorough plowing. The City appreciates your patience as it plows main streets and thoroughfares first and secondary streets afterwards. For current information regarding snow parking bans in effect, please view the City of Elyria website at www.cityofelyria.org.