Now that summer is back in full force, here are some tips to help you stay cool and save energy:
1. Raise your thermostat to 78 degrees if you are away from home for more than 8 hours.
2. Keep shades closed when A/C is running.
3. Check and clean your filters.
4. Use ceiling fans and make sure they are blowing DOWN.
5. Activities that use hot water or lots of energy should be done early in the morning or late in the evening, such as running the dishwasher or the washing machine because they add heat to the air and make it more humid. Consider washing clothes in cold water.
6. Unplug equipment that is not in use and turn off lights.
7. Try to avoid using the stove, maybe grill out instead.
8. Graze more instead of eating big meals.
9. Use a fan on a low setting at night to move air where you sleep.
10. Drink water frequently, especially cold water.
11. Run cold water over your wrists for 10 seconds on each hand. This will reduce your temperature for roughly an hour.