Each color of the flag stands for something: red stands for hardiness and valor; white symbolizes purity and innocence; and blue represents vigilance, perseverance and justice.
The U.S. flag is flown 24 hours a day by either presidential proclamation or law at the following places:
- Fort McHenry, National Monument and Historic Shrine, Baltimore, Maryland
- Flag House Square, Baltimore, Maryland
- United States Marine Corps Memorial (Iwo Jima), Arlington, Virginia
- On the Green of the Town of Lexington, Massachusetts
- The White House, Washington, D.C.
- United States Customs Ports of Entry
- Grounds of the National Memorial Arch in Valley Forge State Park, Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
Today is also the 238th birthday of the U.S. Army.